The Bachelor’s study program in Applied Psychology at Hochschule Fresenius offers students comprehensive and fundamental academic training in human experience and behavior. Thanks to its clear psychological profile, the Applied Psychology (B.Sc.) study program has been recognized by the Professional Association of German Psychologists (Berufsverband Deutscher Psychologinnen und Psychologen, BDP) as a first degree in Psychology. The BDP based its assessment on the criteria of the European Certificate in Psychology (EuroPsy) supported by the European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations. This offers graduates the possibility of subsequent recognition as European psychologists.
Program duration: 6 semesters Program start: Summer and winter semesters Degree: Bachelor of Science Language: German Credits: 180 ECTS credits Monthly fees: 670 €
The course is recognised and accredited by the state.
To be eligible to study at Hochschule Fresenius, applicants must provide evidence of the qualification required for the program (university entrance qualification). This can take the following forms:
- General university entrance qualification (German “Abitur”, eligible to study at all higher education institutions and in all German federal states)
- Subject-linked university entrance qualification (German “fachgebundene Hochschulreife”, eligible to study the corresponding subject in the federal states identified in the certificate)
- Advanced technical certificate (German “Fachhochschulreife”, eligible to study at a university of applied sciences or in a two-cycle study program at a university in the federal states identified in the certificate)
- A master craftsman certificate or one of the following in accordance with the act on access to higher education institutions in the state of Hessen for people with professional qualifications: Completion of professional advanced training of at least 400 hours; a technical college, vocational, or administrative academy qualification; or successful completion of a state-recognized commercial apprenticeship with subsequent professional experience lasting at least three years as well as a special university admission assessment
- To be admitted to the university, students with degrees from countries other than Germany must provide evidence of equivalent status.
- All applicants must also undergo the institution’s own selection process. For more information, see the FAQs.
Applicants with a subject-linked university entrance qualification or advanced technical certificate whose certificates do not mention the Federal State of Hessen should call our free information hotline within Germany (0800 / 3 400 400) – we will be happy to help and look forward to your call!
Degree course content
The Bachelor’s study program in Applied Psychology prepares students for their initial qualified professional activities and gives them the option to deepen their knowledge through subsequent Master’s study programs, opening up further professional fields.
Elective minors allow students to tailor their studies to their interests. For example, you could choose the following Hochschule Fresenius modules: Business Psychology, Basic Principles of Business Administration, Basic Principles of Economics, Basic Principles of Health Economics, Forms of Illness and Care Alternatives, Mathematics, or English.
In addition to the modules specified on your study program, you can also attend further optional modules such as Information and Communications Technology, Self-Management and Working in Organizations, and foreign languages (such as Chinese, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Polish).
The option to select a major in the fourth and fifth semesters allows students to obtain an additional qualification outside clinical psychology in health psychology, health economics, or business psychology:
- Clinical Psychology (compulsory module)
- Health Psychology
- Management of Outpatient and Intersectoral Healthcare Systems
- Sports, Rehabilitation, Prevention Management
- Marketing, Advertising, and Media Psychology
- Human Resources Psychology
- Organizational Psychology and Consultancy
Current studies indicate a high demand for psychological and clinical psychology care in Europe and Germany* that will intensify enormously due to an aging society. Depending on their chosen majors, students can pursue careers in the following areas:
- Healthcare and health promotion
- Management and personnel consultancies
- Market and opinion research institutes
- Occupational safety and labor organization consultancies
- Advertising agencies
- Schools and adult education institutions
- Public authorities such as the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit)
These sectors deal with topics such as health promotion, consulting, rehabilitation, diagnostics and assessment, training and coaching, quality management, personnel selection and development, workplace design, and market and media research.
Students who have also successfully completed a subsequent Master’s study program in Psychology at Hochschule Fresenius can apply to the state-recognized educational institutes in Bavaria to spend 3–5 years training in child and youth psychotherapy (in accordance with the German Psychotherapist Act (Psychotherapeutengesetz), Section 5 (2)). The Regional Examination Office for Medicine, Pharmacy, and Psychotherapy (Landesprüfungsamt Medizin, Pharmazie und Psychotherapie) of the government of Upper Bavaria will accept graduates of these programs onto the child and youth psychotherapy training course.
*Please note that, due to the current legal situation in Germany, it is not possible to become an independent psychotherapist upon completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. University Bachelor’s and Master’s programs are currently required for this. At present, degrees in psychology from universities of applied sciences do not fulfill the legislative requirements, or only in exceptional cases. However, the legislation from 1998 is currently being revised.